Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tomato sauce: From scratch, to finsihed canned product


This is a great tutorial but I have since found a better way to make sauce. Check it out!


Tomato sauce is on the agenda for today. WARNING: This takes a while to make. Set aside half a day.

At the end I will give the recipe and amounts in case you want to make a smaller batch for dinner one night.


Step 1: Onion Onion Onion. Chop 4 onions, size is determined by your preference.

Step 2: Saute Onion in 1/2 cup olive oil, until translucent. This takes about 20 minutes.

Optional step 2.5: If you like garlic, now is a good time to add 6 cloves, or my way, an estimated amount of powder.

Step 3: After onions saute, dump 45-50 (15 pounds) cut up, skinned, tomatoes in your pot. Yes, trust me, it was hard to deal with a pot overflowing with tomatoes, but it does get easier.

Step 4: Add your spices. I used a tablespoon Italian seasoning, with the addition of 1 tablespoon of basil. Also have 2 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon pepper.
Step 5: Random old bottle of red wine, yes please! Officially the recipe calls for 1 bottle. Mine was about 2/3 full and the sauce turned out great.


Step 6: Bring to a simmer and wait. You can see after the tomatoes heat up, they release a lot of liquid which steams off, and the whole pot of stuff gets more manageable.

My recipe says it should take about 2 hours. I have to disagree and say it took me almost 3

Step 7: Near the end I added some orange juice to increase the acidity of the sauce simply because I am water bath canning the jars, and I don't want botulism filled tomato sauce 3 years from now. So Add some sort of acid juice for increased comfort levels.

Step 8: Fill jars

Step 9: Set times for 35 minutes and boil away in the water bath canner.

Mm mm mm, mighty fine tomato sauce if you ask me. I'm glad to have this recipe added to my list of stuff to can.



The recipe can be made in the amount I made or anything smaller if you are willing to convert the measurements. to make it easy I have a recipe here that has already been converted.

Dinner Crazy amount that I did
Tomatoes
6 large whole
15 pounds
Onions
1/2 diced
2 pounds diced
Olive Oil
1 tablespoon
1/2 cup
Salt
3/4 teaspoon
2 tablespoons
Pepper
1/2 teaspoon
1 tablespoon
Red Wine (Optional)
1/2 cup
1 bottle (75 cl.)
Herbs (Italian seasoning, basil)
a couple pinch's
1 Tablespoon of each
Garlic (Optional)
1 clove
6 cloves
Lemon Juice

1/2 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment