Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The first plants of the year, Bell pepper

Today I planted a few bell pepper plants. It was a spur of the moment thing that was spawned from using a bell pepper for dinner.

This is a very easy beginner plant, that has generally good results.

I like to start mine indoors where I can control the environment a little bit better than outdoors.


I read one time that adding a cap-ful of hydrogen peroxide to the water that you soak the seeds in for 2 hours will help the seeds be more productive.

I can not remember the ins and the outs of why this works, but I have always done it for my bell peppers and get very good results.

I forgot to snap a picture, but it basically goes like this.

Step 1: Collect seeds and put in a cup of water with a little Hydrogen Peroxide added. Soak for 2 hours.

Step 2: Get your dirt or compost or whatever you will be growing with, and put it in pots, or Styrofoam cups like me.



Note: There are a few projects that I have done on this blog that can potentially be messy. If you remember the Alcohol Stove my clumsiness won't surprise you. So, be careful not to spill the dirt all over your bedroom floor....


Step 3: After the seeds have soaked for 2 hours you can take them out and push them just under the dirt, to give them some cover. In the pic you can see the white spec/the seed on the left hand side.


The seeds will sprout in a few days, and should be kept in the sun as they like warm dirt. They can grow rather quickly while young.


Easy thing to grow, and the results are great, I would recommend this to anyone of any level of expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment