Monday, February 28, 2011

Things I have learned to miss the most

Since moving 10 days ago, the wife and I have cooked all our own meals except for one, we have gardened, tended to livestock, gone without TV, music, and with the exception of a small space heater we have gone without climate controlled rooms.

But the thing I have learned I miss the most is one thing I wasn't supposed to be missing. The internet has been totally out since Friday, and it has been driving me crazy. I rely on the internet for so many things, from my blog, to the blogs of others, recipes I only have access to online, forums, the ability to learn new things, etc. I feel like I have been at a complete standstill for the last few days.


For a long time I have been trying to save all the info I can, to a flash drive. I have saved material on healing herbs, first aid, recipes, gardening, personal defence, guides, books, PDF's etc. but I see how much more I have to do to feel a little more secure in times like this.

It is a major flaw to be totally capable to survive a disaster as long as you have internet access. Internet and power are probably the most vulnerable things and will be the first to stop working. At least with power you can crank the generator. I have not yet found a way to generate my own internet encase the ISP, or modem fails to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment